Total Pageviews

Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy Holidays!

We had an exciting 2 weeks.  My sister-in-laws came in from California and it was an awesome, chaotic time!  There were 9 kids - 8 years old and under, which makes for a very fun Christmas morning.

Here's the Christmas tree at my mother-in-law's house with ALL of the presents under it.

Getting together with my husband's family is what makes me want to have a large family.  It's so nice to have all the kids running around and everything is just so much more fun. Though, extremely loud - and next year will be worse, since Taj and Jacqueline will be walking.  The adults figured that we have about 6 more years before things calm down because by then, the 2 oldest girls, will be 13 and 14 years old which is old enough to babysit!  Though 4 teenage boys will probably always be loud.






And, Mark, my brother-in-law hard at work, whipping up another delicious meal for us.  He is basically the holiday chef, he cooks non-stop when he is here visiting.  And, awesome meals too - short ribs, boeuf bourguignon, bananas foster.  For Christmas morning, he made a fritata.



The adults did get a moment of peace while the kids watched a bit of TV (less than 2 hours though as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics!).






 And then, the chaos begins!



We bought my mother-in-law her own Honolulu Eye Clinic hoodie.  She saw mine and said she wanted one like it (I had already ordered it when she mentioned this).  So, I pretended that we couldn't get it in time and then we gave it to her this morning.


So far, people think Taj looks like Nikhil, though I think he is starting to look a little different.  Bella thinks Taj looks like my dad, but he jokes that the similarity only exists because they're both bald.  But, looking at this pic, I think I can see the resemblance.

All the guys with their Reyn Spooner shirts


My mom made these cute headbands for all the girls.  Here's my youngest niece trying hers on.

 Ryan's Hot Wheels toy was the hit of the morning.

Nikhil got Bash & Dash (and he can tell them apart).



And, there was even a little break dancing.  This is my sister-in-law Kristina doing the "turtle".  The story behind this - Nikhil accidentally scratched my mother-in-law's floor because this awesome truck that he got actually had screws on the bottom, which we didn't remove.  To remove the scratches, Mark used some floor polish, which got the scratches off, but made the floor very slick, enough for KK to break out her dance moves.


At night, the kids put on a Christmas show.  They sang 'Hark the Herald Angels Sing'.  It was very cute and they even had a sign posted for all attendees.


Mark made these awesome molten chocolate cakes - one for each person.  Now, our family is large - so that was literally, I think like 40 cakes.  And, there's nothing more I like than melty, hot chocolate with vanilla ice cream.

Here's my mother-in-law with 9 of her grandkids.  Kind of hard to get all the kids to look and smile at the same time.  But, it's still a cute pic anyway.  One grandkid born every year since 2001.  2010 was the only year that a grandchild wasn't born.  Jacqueline was born in Feb of this year and Taj in Oct, so it was so close to having one every year.


There was a point in the night when I was taking out the trash and I could hear all the activity inside the house.  Jeff's uncle playing piano, the murmur of the adults talking, kids laughing and screaming.  And, I thought, this is what cheesy Christmas movies try to imitate - what we had, but minus the snow and cold weather.

We missed all the family who couldn't make it this Christmas - Uncle Ric, Alison and the Wai Family.  We were thinking of you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I agree, hapas are always so beautiful. Hmmm..so your kids would be "Thai-mils"! When you have your kids you should check out Lisa Barbero's etsy shop to do a pic of Madras for the nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rupa,
    I never thought of the term "Thai-mils"! It's really cool. I think it's really great that you're writing a blog about your experiences in raising Hapa children. Some people of mixed background don't really like using the term "Hapa" because it gives the feeling that you're only half of something and that you don't fully belong or fit in anywhere. What do you think? I'm interested to know. Maybe you could write a post about it.

    ReplyDelete