Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

DIY Sunburst mirror

Here is one of the small DIY projects that I was able to complete while on bedrest.  They required minimal labor and I did everything sitting on the floor so technically my legs were up.

The first is a DIY sunburst mirror.  I love sunburst mirrors.  They're all the rage right now.  Again, they were all the rage a year ago on the mainland and I think they're just hitting Hawaii, but anyway.  For the last 3 years, I have struggled with deciding what to put above our couch in the our living room.  On the wall adjacent to the couch, we have this rectangular frame of a beautiful orchid giclee print (which was a gift) done by Jocelyn Cheng, a second cousin of my husband's.






Nice to have talented relatives!  And on the wall opposite from the couch is this triptych o f photos we took when traveling (the first is of a fisherman's boat in Madras, India, the second the glaciers in Patagonia and the third a wall in Morocco), which is over black and white wedding photos of my parents, in-laws and our grandparents.  Again, more rectangles and squares.


I wasn't sure I wanted another painting (I figured that would be too much going on), or a rectangular mirror.  I'm obsessed with these mirrors that I see this designer Erinn Valencich use on hgtv.com
But, again, more rectangles, so wasn't sure about that.  And, I wanted to be sure, before spending lots of money on this mirror (not that I know how much this mirror costs, but it looks expensive!)

Then, I came across this DIY sunburst mirror on Centsational Girl


It uses paint sticks and an embroidery hoop.  So, I decided to try it.  My mirror cost a little more because I paid for the paint sticks (23 cents each) and the hard part was finding the longer paint sticks.  I went to 3 different home improvement stores - Lowe's, City Mill and Home Depot and all of them only had the shorter paint sticks.  Then, it occurred to me that a paint center for professional painters would probably have longer paint sticks since they use 5 gallon paint cans.  So, I hit the jackpot at the Glidden Professional Paint Center on King Street.










I followed the directions on the blog( the only exception is that I used different paint colors) which were easy enough to do, even on bedrest and whalah!  My new $20 mirror for above our couch.  I love the way it turned out and it was nice that I could customize the
paint colors, mixing paint until it was exactly what I wanted for the space.

4 comments:

  1. This is GREAT Rupa! Might have to try to make one myself :o) hope you post pics of the baby soon! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! mirror buy online

    ReplyDelete
  3. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! DIY Furniture Plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read your article; it is very informative and helpful for me. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it. BodyContact

    ReplyDelete